In his New York Times bestseller “Measure What Matters,” author John Doerr, the self-proclaimed “Johnny Appleseed” of OKRs tells us that, “As the bar for structured goal setting rises, more organizations are adopting robust, dedicated, cloud-based OKR management software.”
In this article, we’ll define cloud-based software and OKRs (Objectives and Key Results). We’ll detail the benefits of web-based software with a primary focus on dedicated OKR cloud-based software. We’ll also explain the SaaS (Software as a Service) business model and provide examples of some of the best-in-class SaaS companies in existence today.
Finally, we’ll take this opportunity to explain OKRs the Atiim way and quote several customer reviews of Atiim’s Simple yet Powerful OKR Software.
What is Cloud Software?
Perhaps a better question as we begin our article is, “Why cloud-based software?” The short answer is to gain economies of scale as cloud computing enables the sharing of resources to achieve coherence and consistency. Cloud computing minimizes or eliminates costly development of IT infrastructures and allows companies to bring applications online faster. Typically cloud providers use a “pay as you go” pricing model, detailed in our SaaS section.
Wikipedia tells us that “Cloud computing is the on-demand availability of computer system resources, especially data storage and computing power, without direct active management by the user.”
In a cloud environment, data centers are available to multiple users over the Internet. And, in a public cloud, such as Amazon’s AWS, services are available to many different organizations.
What are OKRs (Objectives and Key Results)?
Given this article’s focus is OKR Software we’ll provide the abridged version of OKRs. OKRs is a discipline to align everyone at your company, focus everyone’s effort on what truly matters, and make progress measurable to help you achieve your top corporate objectives. OKRs is a simple process – it’s about setting goals.
Objectives (Os): Simply WHAT is to be achieved, they should be significant, concrete and action-oriented.
Key Results (KRs): They benchmark and monitor HOW we get to the objective. KRs should be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound following the SMART goals method. KRs typically include hard numbers.
Benefits of Dedicated OKR Cloud Software
The best-in-class OKR Software providers bring the entire OKR lifecycle into one system.
This allows you to navigate a digital dashboard to:
- Set and manage measurable objectives
- Align your teams to top corporate priorities
- Regularly monitor and measure progress
- Use analytics/reports to accelerate results
- Server support by the provider
- Automated, regularly scheduled Check-Ins
- Accessibility from different devices
The transparency of OKR Cloud Software enables:
- Everyone’s goals are visible, company-wide
- Employee engagement
- Cross-functional collaboration and teamwork
Security and Privacy Policies in a Public Cloud
OKR Cloud Software requires a company displace segments of its data to outside the organization, a concept beyond the norm of traditional IT security models. In this segment, we’ll provide a condensed discussion of the security and privacy challenges pertinent to public cloud computing.
As with any new technology, a cloud-based computing relationship should be entered with due consideration to security and privacy. Assurances given by the software provider should be verified prior to implementation.
Most cloud providers offer a non-negotiable service agreement in which the terms of service are prescribed entirely by the provider. In some instances, negotiated service agreements are possible; however, this may make the agreement less cost-effective. A negotiated agreement offers certain assurances the cloud provider must furnish to ensure that the client’s organizational requirements are being met.
We recommend the client organization collect and analyze available data about the state of the provider’s system regularly and as often as needed to manage security and privacy risks.
Security and Privacy the Atiim Way
Atiim takes the security and privacy of customer data very seriously. With our modern infrastructure and development process, you can focus on your OKRs, and leave the security and data management to us. For a detailed summary of our security posture, please contact us or send a message to [email protected].
Atiim is committed to serving our customers across the globe which is why we’re happy to comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). You can check out our GDPR page for more information.
What is SaaS
SaaS, Software as a Service is a software licensing and delivery model in which software is licensed on a subscription basis. It is sometimes referred to as web-based software, on-demand software, or hosted software. SaaS delivers applications that are centrally hosted on the provider’s servers.
Rather than developing, installing, and maintaining software, you directly access it via the Internet. The provider is responsible for managing access to the application, including security, availability, and performance.
Examples of Popular SaaS Providers
Below is a list of some of the most popular SaaS, cloud-based software applications in the space today. This list represents some of the largest, most advanced companies in the world today, and, perhaps not so surprisingly, these companies have one other thing in common. Each was an early adapter of the OKR methodology!
- Gmail – A free email service developed by Google famous for its expanded storage capacity
- Google.Docs – Allows the user to create, edit, and share web-based documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Store documents online and access them from any computer.
- AWS (Amazon Web Services) – A subsidiary of Amazon that offers on-demand cloud-based computing platforms on a SaaS basis.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) – serving more than 150,000 companies, helping them to identify and gain new customers while providing customer insights to delight your current customer base
- Cisco cloud solutions that work seamlessly across private data centers and public clouds, Cisco brings together networking, security, analytics, and management
- Marketing Hub – the authority on Content Marketing, Inbound Marketing, SEO Optimization, and Social Media Marketing
- Sales Hub – time-saving, automated sales tools to connect with and close more leads
- Service Hub – customer service software to delight your customers
- GoToMeeting – one of a multitude of numerous Citrix applications, GoToMeeting is the standard in online meeting tools
Atiim Cloud OKR Software
At Atiim we build software to simplify OKR execution at scale. The transparency of our software helps to create alignment, focuses everyone’s effort on what truly matters, and makes progress measurable to help you achieve your top strategic priorities. We provide a dedicated OKR platform to bring the entire OKR lifecycle into one system.
Our software is focused on the OKR protocol, following best-practices from Doerr’s “Measure What Matters,” and focusing on business outcomes.
Here are a few quotes from our clients:
- Atiim helps align the company on measurable results that propel the company forward.
- Today if you ask anyone at the company what success looks like for our business, it is very apparent what it is. It helps our business answer, succinctly, the what and the why. We’ve never had that before.
- Its handy Pulse check-in tool makes it very easy to do a short one-on-one with my team and get a status.
- Set up was simple. It was great how it cascades OKRs through the organization so you can see what is on track and where resources are needed.
- We used Atiim to align our strategic vision. It makes sure everyone on the team knew exactly what they needed to do to meet the overall corporate strategy on an annual and quarterly basis.
- The software is intuitive and requires minimal time to maintain. Other programs were just too large and tried to be both HR and OKRs.
- Having a personal interview with the CEO and CTO – nice touch!
Conclusion, Taking Advantage of Cloud Software
Increased efficiency, rapidly deployed applications, and business agility are some of the major advantages in opting for a SaaS deployment. The cloud-based model also represents a better use of resources, less capital expense, and fewer operational issues.
We hope this article has been informational and helped you to better understand SaaS, cloud-based OKR software, its capabilities, benefits, and advantages.
Are you a CEO guiding a company? An executive responsible for managing teams? Does aligning employee performance to company goals matter, and are you responsible for driving results? If so, please check out a live demo of Atiim OKR & Goals Management Software and we’d love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!