Looking for inspiration when setting your initial OKRs? When onboarding new clients, one of their first questions is, “Do you have examples of good OKRs?” In this article, we’ll provide examples of corporate goals for a B2B company and illustrate how they might cascade throughout the various departments in an organization.
A Formula for Stating OKRs
We Want to:
As measured by this set of KRs:
- (Key Result)
- (Key Result)
- (Key Result)
Corporate Goal Examples – B2B Company
In our examples, we position the Objective, or Goal, as a broad, over-arching, qualitative statement of what you want to achieve, i.e., “Grow our Global Business.” The supporting Key Results answer “as measured by.” Key results are quantitative, tend to be numeric, and are similar to KPIs or MBOs. They help us measure progress towards the Goal or Objective.
- OBJECTIVE: Grow our Global Business
- Hit our global sales target of $100 Million in Sales
- Achieve 100% year-to-year sales growth in the U.S. market
- Increase the average deal size by 30%
- Reduce churn to less than 5% annually
- OBJECTIVE: Delight Our Customers
- Interview 20 customers per month and get feedback
- Achieve an NPS of 9 from our customers
- Increase customer retention to 98%
- Achieve a product engagement of 80% WAU
Cascading Company Goals to Create Alignment – Examples
A primary benefit of setting goals in an OKR environment is the ability to align everyone in the organization and to focus everyone’s attention on what truly matters. This is accomplished through the cascading of Objectives downward through the organization. So, let’s see how our first example, “Grow our Global Business” might cascade to different departments in the company:
To grow the global business, the Marketing Department must generate more qualified leads for Sales.
OBJECTIVE: Generate More Marketing Qualified Leads (MQLs)
- Generate 150 MQLs from email marketing
- Generate 100 MQLs from AdWords
- Generate 50 MQLs from organic search
- Generate Net-New Unique leads via Account-Based Marketing
Content Marketing Department
To support growing the business, content marketing must attract more attention to the website.
OBJECTIVE: Improve Our Blog Strategy
- Publish 50 new blog posts in Q3
- Do 5 VIP interviews of industry experts
- Get 5,000 subscribers on our blog
For Sales to achieve their targets they are dependent upon Product Marketing to launch the new product successfully, and on time.
OBJECTIVE: Launch the New Product Successfully
- Finish all the new product website updates
- Work with PR to provide technical product specs
- Give an exclusive pre-launch update to customers and partners
- Finalize product datasheets, feature briefs, and sales enablement info
Obviously, to support growing the global business, Sales must contribute their efforts.
OBJECTIVE: Achieve 100% year-to-year sales growth in the U.S. market
- Develop relationships with 50 new target accounts
- Onboard 10 new resellers that focus on the U.S.
- Offer extra kicker to AEs to achieve 120% focusing on the U.S.
Human Resources / People Ops
Building a team populated with A-players directly supports the company goal of growing the global business.
OBJECTIVE: Grow Our Sales Team With A-Players
- Offer our employees a $500 reward for referrals of A-Players whom we hire
- Hire 5 new Account Executives this quarter
- Survey interviewees after each interview process and get feedback
- Maintain a 4:1 Interview-to-hire ratio
OBJECTIVE: Launch the New Product Architecture
- Have engineering team contribute X story points
- Design 5 tests with QA
- Upgrade our database and complete data migration
We hope these examples have provided inspiration for your company’s corporate goals. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions, for clarification, or to receive the e-Book, The Ultimate List of OKR Goal Examples for B2B Companies.
Do you manage a company or teams (either as a CEO, a senior executive, a middle manager or even a front-line manager)? Do you set and track objectives? Does aligning employee performance to business goals matter, and are you responsible for driving results? If so, please check out a live demo of Atiim OKR & Goals Management Software and we’d love to hear what you think about it. Thank you!