Since the publication of John Doerr’s NY Times bestseller, “Measure What Matters,” OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) have become increasingly popular. Most informed executives have now read the book, viewed Doerr’s TED Talk about OKRs, “Why the Secret to Success is Setting the Right Goals,” and performed their own due diligence. That is, those executives who had not already implemented the OKR methodology, think Google, Intel, Oracle, and other high-performing tech companies.
With this Increased attention on OKRs, we have seen an upsurge in the number of books, blogs, white papers, companies offering consulting services, and SaaS companies providing dedicated OKR Software. So how do you know where to turn if you’re considering adopting the OKR protocol for improving the execution of strategy in your organization?
In this article, we’ll detail the seven must-have features of the best goal tracking software platforms and the benefits inherent in selecting the right software provider.
Must-Have Features for Effective Goal Tracking Platforms
OKR software is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Most software companies tend to target and customize their offering to fit a specific segment of the market. However, regardless of the provider, or their niche, there are certain features a best in class, dedicated, cloud-based, OKR software solution should have.
- Software that brings the entire OKR process into one system; from goal-setting to cascading for alignment, monitoring and measuring progress, automated prompts to facilitate Check-Ins, and standard and customized reporting for managing the entire process.
- Goal Alignment Charts to view the goal hierarchy of your OKRs. These charts ensure the organization’s top priorities cascade to departments and teams. You will need a system that accommodates bottom-up planning as well, designed so that the department’s and team’s OKRs are furthering the achievement of the company’s strategy.
- Automated Prompts to encourage employees to complete their regularly scheduled Check-Ins to monitor progress. These brief Check-Ins capture progress towards goal achievement and identify any Key Results “at risk” so that course correction may occur in real time.
- Engagement Reports to provide OKR leads with information relative to Check-In compliance. Are all teams and employees completing their Check-Ins, and, are managers reading and responding to the information included in these reports?
- Standard and Customized Reporting, such as a Monday Morning Report for senior leadership which allows the executive to monitor weekly progress, quickly, painlessly, and on a single pane of glass. For any Key Result “at risk,” the executive can then drill down through departments, teams, and even to the individual contributor level.
- Vertical and horizontal visibility of goals providing a line of sight for everyone to see department, team, and individual goals throughout the organization. Horizontal visibility encourages collaboration and teamwork across departments and teams, versus redundancies and silos. The transparency enabled by OKR Software drives higher employee engagement and accountability throughout the organization.
- Best in class OKR software providers assist in the onboarding process as well as setting the initial top corporate objectives through a Customer Success Manager. Other customer support features include initial employee training, ongoing education, certification classes, and resources such as eBooks, White Papers, Infographics, Webinars, and educational blogs.
We hope this short article has helped you to identify the must-have features you will require from your goal tracking software and software provider. Feel free to reach out to us with any further questions at Atiim.com.
Do you manage a company or teams (either as a CEO, a senior executive, or middle manager)? Do you set and track objectives? Does aligning employee performance to business goals matter, and are you responsible for driving results? If so, please check out a live demo of Atiim OKR & Goals Management Software and we’d love to hear what you think about it. Thank you!